25+ Pie Iron Recipes (Perfect Pudgie Pies) to make on your next camping trip. Get that campfire going and gather your family and guests around for some delicious pie iron recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. Cooking with a pie iron will become your favorite way to prepare your meals while camping.
Pie Iron Recipes For Camping
A pie iron is a small cast iron or aluminum pan with a two-part hinge that folds over and has a long handle that you cook on a campfire. They come in different shapes and sizes- round, square, oblong, and double.
Also, called a pudgie pie they are used for toasting sandwiches, grilling meat, and cooking desserts. Perhaps you have never heard of a pie iron but maybe these will ring a bell... pudgie pies, tonka toaster, campfire pies, fire pies, and the list goes on.
Cooking with a pie iron is a great way to bond with your family and also a fun way to teach your kids a new way to cook.
And the best thing about pie iron cooking is you don't have to follow exact measurements and you can add or take out ingredients according to everyone's likes and dislikes.
Keep your cooking to a minimum and have fun trying these pie iron recipes that we have compiled for you.
Helpful Tips For Pie Iron Cooking
- Get a quality brand pie iron. If it is too thin, your food will burn easily
- Cast iron pie irons need to be seasoned
- Preheat your pie iron but let it cool a bit so the bread doesn't burn
- Turn frequently and check for burning
- Start your campfire an hour before cooking. Place your pie iron on a bed of hot coals and minimal flames
- Purchase one for each family member or get a double. Cooking will be done in no time and everyone will have fun making their own creation.
Supplies needed for Pie Iron Cooking
Common Questions About Pie Irons
What can you cook in a pie iron?
You can cook breakfast sandwiches, grilled sandwiches, pizza, dessert, and more! Put your imagination and taste buds to work.
Do you need to season pie irons?
If it is cast iron, you will need to season it. Without proper seasoning, it will rust and food will stick during use. Your new cast iron pie iron will arrive with a coating of a thin layer of paraffin wax to prevent rusting prior to seasoning. It will need to be seasoned prior to first use.
If you have an aluminum pie iron, you do not need to season.
How do you season campfire pie irons?
Here's how to season your campfire pie irons:
- Separate the pie iron and place it on a heated grill or fire for 10 minutes turning halfway through.
- Remove pie iron from the grill and let cool but while it is still warm, wash in warm soapy water scrubbing with a nylon brush to get the wax off.
- Put them back on the grill to dry, remove, and let it cool completely.
- Apply a good layer of vegetable shortening to all sides and put back in the grill bowl side up for 15 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- Remove, let cool and apply vegetable shortening again.
- You will repeat this process a total of four times. Each time you will notice the cast iron turning darker. Your pie iron is now seasoned and ready to make some tasty meals!
How do you clean a pie iron?
To clean your cast iron pie iron, soak in hot water and wipe with rag or nylon scrub brush. After rinsing, place back over fire to dry. You want to make sure the pie iron is dry before storing to prevent rust.
If you have an aluminum pie pan, you can use hot soapy water.
How do you use campfire pie irons?
It's easy! Butter your bread or use non-stick cooking spray if using bread dough or tortillas. Add your ingredients making sure not to overfill or it will squeeze out into the fire, fold over the edges or cut off excess dough, close the top, and place over warm coals.
Keep your meals simple, side dishes easy, and clean up minimal.
- Breakfast- Serve fresh fruit
- Sandwiches- Serve with chips and fruit
- Dinner- Serve with a bagged salad, store-bought pasta salad, or grilled corn on the cob (Wrap the corn in aluminum foil and throw on the fire)
- Dessert- Duh! Serve with ice cream or whipped cream!
Pie Iron Breakfast Recipes
Start your day with these delicious pie iron recipes. You'll love these and you can customize them however you want! Be prepared to wake early, your guests will be so excited about breakfast!
- Breakfast Hobo Pies| by Pocket Change Gourmet
- Pie Iron Breakfast Wrap | by Campfire Foodie
- Pie Iron Nutella & Banana Biscuits | by Homemade Heather
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast | by Dirty Gourmet
- Quick & Easy Pie Iron Cinnamon Rolls Recipe | by General RV
Pizza Pudgie Pies
Who doesn't love pizza? Try these pizza pudgie pie and you'll be hooked! We are always looking for new pizza recipes. These are so easy to make and look so yummy. I can just taste that melted cheese now.
- Campfire Pizza Sandwiches | by Let's Camp S'more
- Pizza Mountain Pies | by Angela Travels
- Gourmet Pie Iron Pizza Paninis | by Bake Space
- Campfire Pie Iron Pizza Recipes | by Outdoor Adventures Family
Pie Iron Sandwich Recipes
If grilled cheese is a favorite, then you will love these sandwich recipes!
- Pie Iron Reuben Sandwich | by Second Chance To Dream
- Campfire Grilled Cheese | by Trek Southwest
- Garlic Grilled Cheese Pie Iron Recipe | by Reuse Grow Enjoy
Pie Iron Dinner Recipes
Start a new tradition with your family cooking with a pie iron on your camping adventures. These everyday favorite dinner recipes are sure to be a hit!
- Pie Iron Philly Cheese Steak Quesadilla | by Beyond The Tent
- Pie Iron Tasty Tacos | by Farm Wife Cooks
- Coney Dog Pie Iron Recipe | by Frugal Campasauras
- Pie Iron Chicken Pot Pie | by 50 Campfires
- Pie Iron Sloppy Joes | by Easy Campfire Recipes
- Campfire Spaghetti & Garlic Bread Sandwiches | by Mom Saves Money
- Pie Iron Fajita Quesadillas | by The Camp Gal
Pie Iron Dessert Recipes
Rekindle that fire after dinner and cook up some tasty pie iron desserts!
- Mutter Butters | by Mustard Seeds
- Campfire Apple Pies | by Sugar and Charm
- Pie Iron S'mores | by Easy Campfire Recipes
More Camping Recipes You'll Love!
- Easy Canned Fruit Salad Recipe
- 15+ Easy Hamburger Recipes
- 25+ RV Camping Dinners
- 20+ Camping Cocktails
We'd Love To Hear From You!
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this post! Here's how:
SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW
We love your comments - say hello, or leave any questions and comments below!
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
Show your RV's, travel photos, food photos, and favorite campgrounds! We'd LOVE to see them!
PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!
25+ Pie Iron Recipes (Perfect Pudgie Pies) that are so fun and tasty to make! Perfect camping food or a FUN staycation idea! 🙂 From Pie iron recipes campfire desserts (cherry pie, apple pie, and), breakfast recipes like blueberry french toast, and campfire dinner ideas pudgie pie tacos, chicken pot pies - and so much more. #campingfood #pieironrecipe #pudgiepies #tonkatoaster #campfirepies #campfiredesserts #RVcooking #firepies