Cherry Mountain Pie Recipe (Pie Iron Cherry Pies) are a fun and tasty pie iron dessert recipe! Using canned cherry pie filling, cream cheese, pre-made pie crust, and frosting, you'll make the tastiest pie iron cherry pies EVER. Your family will love these!
Did you know that you can also cook these cherry hand pies over a camp stove or grill? Yep! See our cooking instructions below.
🍒 Mountain Pie Recipe
"Cherry hand pies are one of my favorite camping recipes. These delicious handheld cherry pies are drizzled with a little frosting to perfectly complement the cherry filling. Oh my - SO DELICIOUS!!" 🙂 -Kori
Fun and Easy to Make
With only 4 simple ingredients all cooked in your mountain pie iron, these little campfire cherry pies are easy - and cleanup is super simple!
Making these cherry hand pies using canned pie filling and refrigerated pie crust makes these super fast to make.
Kids love this recipe because the pies are super easy and fun to assemble!
Perfect Pie Iron Dessert
You'll love this cherry mountain pie recipe because it uses real pie dough, has a little added twist with cream cheese and my favorite part - the icing drizzle! No comparison these are the BEST!
🥧 Ingredients and Tools
Here's what you'll need to make these delicious Cherry Mountain Pies:
- Canned Cherry Pie Filling - any pre-made cherry pie filling will do!
- Cream Cheese
- Refrigerated Pie Crust - most pie crust comes as a 2 pack. To serve 4 people, you will only be using 1. For test purposes, we made these cherry hand pies with Pillsbury pie crust - but any brand will work.
- Vanilla or Cream Cheese Icing - if you want to drizzle frosting, make sure to buy it in a tube.
- 2 Pie Irons - feel free to use any brand! We've owned the Rome brand for years and they've held up nicely.
- Unflavored Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Cutting board - for assembling the pies and cutting after cooking - MAKE SURE IT IS HEAT PROOF so your hot pie iron won't melt it.
- Parchment Paper or Wax Paper - for pressing out pie crust
- Knife - for cutting the cherry pies
- Paper Towels - things can sometimes get messy!
- Potholders, grill mitts, or long tongs - in case you need to save someone's pie iron from the depths of the ashes! It happens.
There are several ways you can vary or make substitutions to these cherry mountain pies:
- Substitute any favorite canned pie filling that you want. You are not limited to cherry pie! 🙂 Next time I make these I'm going to do lemon. I think the lemon with the melted cream cheese would be amazing.
- Try using a biscuit crust or crescent dough. You could also try buttered white bread slices.
🔪 Step by Step Instructions
Here's how to make campfire cherry hand pies:
Roll Out Pie Crust
Bring crust to room temperature.
Slowly unroll 1 9" pie crust dough onto a nonstick surface such as parchment or wax paper.
Press the pie crust out large enough that you are able to cut 4 pieces of crust in the size of your pie iron.
Assemble the Pies
Generously spray the pie iron with nonstick spray.
Lay 1 slice of pie crust on the bottom of each pie iron.
Fill each pie iron with ½ cup cherry pie filling and 1 tablespoon cream cheese. Since each pie iron makes 2 pies, I like to divide the cream cheese in half and place ½ tablespoon on each side.
Lay the second pie dough over the top of each pie iron. Secure the pie iron and trim any excess dough from around the side.
You can cook your Cherry Hand Pie over a campfire, but did you know that you can also cook them on your camp stove or even grill? This is a great option if it rains or you aren't able to get a fire going! Here's what to do:
- Campfire - cook your cherry pies for 4 to 7 minutes, turning halfway, until the pie crust is golden brown and the filling is hot. For best results keep the pie iron in a hot area of coals but not TOO HOT. It is easy for the pie crust to burn so keep an eye on them.
- Camp Stove - Turn your camp stove on medium heat and lay your pie iron directly on the stove grate over the flame. Cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side
- Grill - Preheat your grill to medium heat (300 to 400 degrees). Lay your cherry pies directly on the grill and cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side until the pie crust is golden brown and the filling is hot.
Drizzle with Frosting
Carefully open the pie irons and remove your cherry pies. Allow them to cool before frosting (and eating) they're really hot when they first come out!
Once the pies have cooled enough, drizzle with frosting then cut in half.
Serve and enjoy!
💭 Helpful Tips
- Don't forget to generously spray the pie irons before each cherry pie that you make.
- See our cooking instructions above. You can also cook these on your camp stove or grill if needed! 🙂 I've even made these at home on my gas stovetop before!
❓ Common Questions
What is a mountain pie?
A mountain pie is a sweet or savory pie made in a cast-iron cooker. Most mountain pies are made with ingredients sandwiched between two slices of bread or other dough. Mountain pies are also called pie irons, hobo pies, tonka toasters, jaffles, or pudgy pies. Typically mountain pies are made over a campfire, but the pie irons can also be cooked on a camp stove or grill.
How do you keep mountain pies from sticking?
To keep mountain pies from sticking be sure to generously coat with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
✔️ More Mountain Pie Recipes
Here are a few more mountain pie (pie iron) recipes that you might enjoy:
- Campfire Pie Iron Pizzas
- Pudgie Pie Tasty Tacos (Pie Iron Recipe)
- Pie Iron Sausage and Egg Hobo Pies
- 25+ Pie Iron Recipes (Perfect Pudgie Pies)
⭐ Stay Connected
If you tried this Cherry Mountain Pie Recipe, we'd love for you to come back and give it a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me & others on Facebook, and Pinterest!
Cherry mountain pies (pie iron cherry pies) quick and simple to make! This campfire dessert recipe can be made over a campfire, but also your camp stove, and even grill! The perfect camping recipe using canned cherry pie filling, cream cheese, pre-made pie crust, and frosting - you'll make the tastiest pie iron cherry pies EVER. Your family will love these! Cherry Hand Pies | Pie Iron Recipes | Pie Iron Dessert | Pudgie Pies | Pudgy Pies | Camping Food