Pie Iron Sausage and Egg Hobo Pies are super EASY, extra TASTY, and fun campfire breakfast recipe! Delicious sausage, egg, and ooey gooey cheese melted together inside buttery crusty toasted bread slices. Your family will go nuts over these!
Did you know that you can also cook these over a camp stove or grill? Yep! See our cooking instructions below.
❤️ Sausage Egg and Cheese Hobo Pies for Breakfast
"These sausage egg and cheese hobo pies are one of the kids most favorite breakfasts when we're camping (adults too). Super easy with very little mess. There is nothing better than cooking over a campfire with your family. Hope you enjoy!" 🙂 -Kori
Super Easy to Make. With only 5 simple ingredients all cooked in your pie iron, this campfire recipe couldn't get any easier to make - and makes cleanup a breeze!
Absolutely Delicious. Every time I make these, I fall in love with my pie iron all over again! Seriously. These are so easy to make, and they're DELICIOUS. The kids end up making their own breakfast, and I love sitting back and watching them have fun cooking their own breakfasts while I enjoy my coffee! lol 🙂
Breakfast Hobo Sandwich Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make these delicious Pie Iron Sausage and Egg Hobo Pies:
- Cheddar Cheese Slices - we used American processed cheese for its "meltability."
- Bread - we used white bread, but wheat is fine too!
- Breakfast Sausage - crumbled sausage or even sausage links work fine. Bacon can also be used!
- Pie Iron 4 pack or Hobo Pie Maker single - feel free to use any brand! We've owned the Rome brand for years and they've held up nicely.
- Nonstick spray
- Small bowl - for beating the egg
- Cutting board - for assembling the hobo pies and cutting after cooking
- Fork - for mixing the egg
- Knife - for cutting the breakfast sandwich if desired
- Paper Towels - things can sometimes get messy!
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 🙂
How To Make A Breakfast Hobo Pie Sandwich
Here's how to make delicious Pie Iron Sausage and Egg Hobo Pies:
Butter 1 side of each slice of bread
Beat the egg in a small bowl.
Generously spray the hobo pie maker with nonstick spray.
Lay 1 slice of bread, buttered side down on the pie iron. Top with egg, sausage, and cheese.
Lay the final slice of bread, buttered side out, then close pie iron over the sandwich.
Trim any excess bread.
You can cook your Pie Iron breakfast sandwiches over a campfire, but did you know that you can also cook them on your camp stove or even grill? This is a great option if it rains or you don't want a campfire that morning! Here's what to do:
- Campfire - cook your sandwich for 4 to 7 minutes, turning halfway, until the bread is golden brown and egg is cooked. For best results, keep the pie iron in a hot area of coals but not TOO HOT. It is easy for the bread to burn before the egg gets cooked.
- Camp Stove - Turn your camp stove on medium heat and lay your pie iron directly on the stove grate over the flame. Cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Grill - Preheat your grill to medium heat (300 to 400 degrees). Lay your pie irons directly on the grill and cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side until the bread is golden brown and the egg is cooked. If you have a wooden handle, keep these away from the grill.
Serve and Enjoy
Carefully open the pie irons and remove your breakfast sandwich. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes before eating - they get super hot.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Serve and enjoy!
There are several ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Substitute 1 cooked and thawed breakfast patty or a couple of slices of cooked bacon cut to fit the pie iron.
- Use a spicy sausage or mild - whatever your favorite is
- Substitute any favorite cheese.
- Add a little diced onion or peppers. This will increase the cooking time so make sure to keep out of the super hot coals so the bread doesn't burn before the eggs, onion, and, peppers are done.
How To Serve
Need easy serving suggestions? Pie Iron Sausage and Egg Hobo Pies can certainly be a meal in one but if you're looking for a little more, here are some simple ideas of what to serve with them:
- Feeding a crowd? For every breakfast sandwich, you need 1 egg, 1/3 cup breakfast sausage, 1 slice of cheese, 1 tablespoon butter, and 2 slices of bread.
- Fresh fruit or our canned fruit salad recipe.
- Cereal or granola
- Juice, coffee, tea, or hot chocolate
- Don't forget to generously spray the pie irons before each breakfast sandwich that you make.
- When pouring the egg over the bread, some of it almost always pours out. It helps to poke some holes in the bread with a fork, or you can use a little less of the egg.
- Make sure to use pre-cooked sausage and bacon. If using a frozen breakfast patty it should be thawed first.
- Cook your meat before you leave home, it will make for an even quicker breakfast and much easier cleanup while camping.
- See our cooking instructions above. You can also cook these on your camp stove or grill if needed! 🙂 I've even made these at home on my gas stovetop before!
✔️ Related Camping Recipes
Here are a few more recipes that you might enjoy:
- Pudgie Pie Tasty Tacos (Pie Iron Recipe)
- 25+ Pie Iron Recipes (Perfect Pudgie Pies)
- S'mores Brownies (Easy Camping Dessert)
- Easy Canned Fruit Salad Recipe
- S'Mores Cones Campfire Recipe
- 30+ Foil Packet Meals for Camping RV
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this post! Here's how:
SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW
We love your comments - say hello, or leave any questions and comments below!
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
Show your RV's, travel photos, food photos, and favorite campgrounds! We'd LOVE to see them!
PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pie Iron Sausage and Egg Hobo Pies for breakfast are so fun and tasty to make! Perfect camping food or even a FUN staycation idea! 🙂 This campfire breakfast idea can be made over a campfire, but also your camp stove, and even grill! The perfect camping food breakfast with Delicious sausage, egg, and ooey gooey cheese melted together inside buttery crusty toasted bread slices. Your family will go nuts over these! #campingfood #pieironrecipe #pudgiepies #tonkatoaster #campfirepies #RVcooking #firepies