Easy Canned Fruit Salad Recipe is a tasty family recipe and super simple to put together! This canned fruit salad makes the perfect cold dish for a picnic, cookout, or my favorite - an RV and camping trip.
Ambrosia salad keeps for several days and is made mostly of canned goods, so you can either make it ahead of time or make it at your campsite. This salad is a long-standing tradition with our family - no camping trip would be without it! Enjoy!
🎥 Recipe Video
You'll❤️ This Ambrosia Salad Recipe
There are so many reasons to love this fruit salad, but here are my absolute favorite reasons why this fruit salad is made on nearly every camping trip!
Perfect RV Camping Recipe
This is the perfect RV and camping recipe because you can make it ahead recipe, and it travels well. Most of the ingredients are canned, so if you don't have time to make it before leaving, no worries! Make it when you arrive.
This is a delicious salad! Because it is served cold from the fridge, it is literally the MOST refreshing salad on a warm day. Get this out of the cooler and serve it up - oh yum. So delicious.
What makes this fruit salad different than others? The peach pie filling! There is just something about the peach pie filling when mixed with the pineapple, banana, mandarin, grapes, etc.
Easy, Make-Ahead Recipe
This is a perfect make-ahead recipe for any event. Not only is it easy to toss together, but you can also make it up to 24 hours in advance for full freshness. The salad will keep up to 3 days (we always eat it before the 3 days are up, by the way), but I always make between 4 and 24 hours before I need it.
Feel free to play around with the ingredients to get this salad just right for you and your family. While I love it just the way it is, some people love to add sweetened coconut. Others like to remove the maraschino cherries, and others don't like marshmallows.
Kid and Adult Friendly
This is our go-to camping recipe. It's super popular recipe with kids and adults alike! 🙂
I won't name names, but one of our boys has literally asked for this salad for his special birthday meal every year! Every time I ask what we should take on our camping trip, the answer is Fruit Salad!! LOL 🙂
🥘 Ingredients and Tools
- Peach pie filling
- Canned pineapple chunks - use unsweetened juice
- Canned mandarin oranges, drained
- Seedless red or green grapes
- Miniature marshmallows
- Maraschino cherries
- Bananas - use firm bananas, no overripe ones
- Airtight plastic storage container (these are perfect for small RV refrigerators!)
- large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups
- Can opener
"RV Storage tip: Use uniform plastic storage containers that will fit your RV fridge. Our RV shelves are only about 10" deep so all of my containers are no deeper than that. I try and stay away from round bowls for storing food in the fridge as they take up more space. Stick with square shapes if possible." -Kori
📋 Step by Step Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. In an airtight container, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. That's it - I told you it was easy!
💭 Helpful Tips
- Use firm bananas for the best result. If you can't make the salad for a couple of days, buy green bananas. Overripe bananas are too mushy for this salad, and the salad won't keep as long.
- Use unsweetened pineapple chunks and orange segments - but if you bought sweetened on accident, it okay!
- You can substitute blueberries for grapes or mix half grapes and half blueberries. Use your favorite! Make sure to use firm blueberries, so they hold together when you stir. Do not cut the blueberries in half. Leave them whole, or they will start coloring the rest of the salad.
- Like a little sweetened coconut in your salad? Feel free to add ¼ to ½ cup of sweetened coconut.
- Keep this salad in an airtight container, and it will keep for up to three days. I can almost promise it will be eaten by then, though...LOL!
❓ Common Questions
Can I make fruit salad without marshmallows?
Definitely! If you don't like marshmallows you do not need to add them.
How far in advance can you make fruit salad?
For this canned fruit salad I typically make it anywhere from 2 to 24 hours before I want to serve it. As I mention below, it does keep from 3 to 4 days, however. It's just such a simple salad you can just toss it together quite quickly.
How long does fruit salad last in the fridge?
This canned fruit salad recipe will keep up to 3-4 days if it is stored in an airtight container and you use firm bananas.
Is this similar to Southern Ambrosia Recipe?
Yes, this is very similar to Southern Ambrosia salad. This recipe does not call for coconut, but as we mentioned about you could easily add it.
How many calories does ambrosia salad have?
This canned fruit ambrosia salad has 120 calories per serving. Each serving is approximately ½ cup.
Can you freeze fruit salad?
Because of the banana I don't recommend that this salad be frozen.
➡️ Related Recipes
- S'Mores Cones Campfire Recipe
- S'mores Brownies (Easy Camping Dessert)
- Pie Iron Sausage and Egg Hobo Pies
- Philly Cheese Steak Foil Packets
- 25+ RV Camping Dinners: Easy Recipes!
- 35+ Easy Instant Pot Meals To Cook In Your RV
- 15+ Easy Hamburger Recipes
- 20 + Camping Cocktails
- 25+ Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
🚙 We'd Love To Hear From You!
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this post! Here's how:
SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW
We love your comments - say hello, or leave any questions and comments below!
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
Show your RV's, travel photos, food photos, and favorite campgrounds! We'd LOVE to see them!
PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Super easy Fruit Salad Recipe here! This quick and easy canned fruit salad is the perfect brunch, cookout, picnic, RV & camping recipe! Ambrosia salad is one of the best salads to make - but this one is quick and easy - and keeps really well! Ambrosia salad is the perfect make-ahead fruit salad that will make your meals while on vacation super simple. #ambrosia #fruitsalad #cannedfruitsalad #RVfood #RVcooking #campingfood #campingrecipe #ambrosiafruitsaladeasy #rvliving #rvcamping