This Easy Canned Fruit Salad Recipe is a tasty family recipe and super simple to put together! This canned fruit salad makes the perfect cold dish for a picnic, cookout, or my favorite - an RV and camping trip.
Ambrosia salad keeps for several days and is made mostly of canned goods, so you can either make it ahead of time or make it at your campsite. This salad is a long-standing tradition with our family - no camping trip would be without it! Enjoy!
Watch Peach Pie Filling Fruit Salad Video
Why You'll ❤️ This Simple Fruit Salad Recipe
Perfect RV Camping Recipe
This is the perfect RV and camping recipe because you can make it ahead, and it travels well. Most of the ingredients are canned, so if you don't have time to make it before leaving, no worries! Make it when you arrive.
This is a delicious salad! What makes this fruit salad different than others? The peach pie filling! There is just something about the peach pie filling mixed with all the other ingredients. You'll have to try it for yourself and see. 😉
If you're looking for easy fruit salad recipes - this is IT. It's a perfect make-ahead recipe for any event. Not only is it easy to toss together, but you can also make it up to 24 hours in advance for full freshness.
Feel free to play around with the ingredients to get this salad just right for you and your family. While I love it just the way it is, some people love to add sweetened coconut. Others like to remove the maraschino cherries, and others don't like marshmallows.
Kid and Adult Friendly
This is our go-to camping recipe. It's super popular recipe with kids and adults alike! 🙂
Ingredients For Canned Fruit Salad
- Peach pie filling - this is the secret to this salad!
- Canned pineapple chunks - use the canned variety in unsweetened juice
- Canned mandarin oranges
- Seedless red or green grapes - buy firm fresh grapes. Old or squishy grapes won't hold up.
- Miniature marshmallows
- Maraschino cherries - you'll need stemless maraschino cherries
- Bananas - use firm bananas, no overripe ones
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
- Airtight plastic storage container (these are perfect for small RV refrigerators!)
- large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups
- Can opener
"RV Storage tip: Use uniform plastic storage containers that will fit your RV fridge. Our RV shelves are only about 10" deep so all of my containers are no deeper than that. I try and stay away from round bowls for storing food in the fridge as they take up more space. Stick with square shapes if possible." -Kori
How To Make Canned Fruit Salad with Marshmallows
- Slice bananas, and drain the pineapple, mandarin oranges, and cherries.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add all the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Use firm bananas and grapes for the best result. If you can't make the salad for a couple of days, buy green bananas. Overripe bananas and grapes are too mushy for this salad, and the salad won't keep as long.
- Use unsweetened pineapple chunks and orange segments - but if you bought sweetened on accident, it okay!
- You can substitute blueberries for grapes or mix half grapes and half blueberries. Use your favorite! Make sure to use firm blueberries, so they hold together when you stir. Do not cut the blueberries in half. Leave them whole, or they will start coloring the rest of the salad.
- Like a little sweetened coconut in your salad? Feel free to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sweetened coconut.
Definitely! If you don't like marshmallows you do not need to add them. Marshmallows are not only added for the texture but for the sweetness. If you omit them do a taste test for sweetness and adjust with sugar, sugar substitute, or honey until you are happy with it.
For this canned fruit salad I typically make it anywhere from 2 to 24 hours before I want to serve it. As I mention below, it does keep from 3 to 4 days, however. It's just such a simple salad you can just toss it together quite quickly.
This canned fruit salad recipe will keep up to 3-4 days if it is stored in an airtight container and you use firm bananas.
Yes, this is very similar to Southern Ambrosia salad. Each recipe is different, of course, and some use fresh fruit. This recipe does not call for coconut, but as we mentioned you could easily add it.
This canned fruit ambrosia salad has 120 calories per serving. Each serving is approximately 1/2 cup.
Because the fresh banana will brown and turn squishy, I don't recommend that this salad be frozen. Freezing also causes the salad to become watery which dilutes the flavor.
More Recipes You'll Love
- S'Mores Cones Campfire Recipe
- S'mores Brownies (Easy Camping Dessert)
- Pie Iron Sausage and Egg Hobo Pies
- Philly Cheese Steak Foil Packets
- 25+ RV Camping Dinners: Easy Recipes!
- 35+ Easy Instant Pot Meals To Cook In Your RV
- 15+ Easy Hamburger Recipes
- 20 + Camping Cocktails
- 25+ Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
Super easy Fruit Salad Recipe here! This quick and easy canned fruit salad is the perfect brunch, cookout, picnic, RV & camping recipe! Ambrosia salad is one of the best salads to make - but this one is quick and easy - and keeps really well! Ambrosia salad is the perfect make-ahead fruit salad that will make your meals while on vacation super simple. #ambrosia #fruitsalad #cannedfruitsalad #RVfood #RVcooking #campingfood #campingrecipe #ambrosiafruitsaladeasy #rvliving #rvcamping