Chicken bacon ranch foil packets are a SUPER easy recipe that're full of tender ranch seasoned chicken and potatoes with melted cheese and bacon. A huge hit with the family! You will love how easy they are to make and cleanup is a breeze. Much of the recipe can be pre-prepped too!
You'll ❤️ These Chicken Foil Packets
"One of my favorite foil packet recipes! Who doesn't love bacon, cheese, and chicken with ranch? Not only do they taste great but there are only 7 simple ingredients!"
Flavorful! Chicken bacon and ranch is a classic flavor combination that works perfectly in foil packets. To make sure the flavor is boosted I used both a dry seasoning mix and a prepared salad dressing.
Quick and easy. Super quick and easy to make (like less than 5 min to prep), then 35 minutes to bake.
Prep ahead. Much of this recipe can be prepped ahead of time so if you're facing a busy week, or you are making this while camping you can get a head start!
Bacon Ranch Chicken Packet Ingredients
Here are the ingredients and tools you will need to make these chicken bacon ranch foil packets:
- Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix - I used Hidden Valley Ranch mix but you can use any brand you want or a homemade seasoning.
- New Baby Potatoes - the key to tender potatoes is that they need to be bite sized pieces. New baby potatoes are the little round ones and the smaller ones are very tender so they work perfect in foil packet recipes.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - you can use breast or even thighs. I pound out the breasts to about 1/2-inch thick.
- Prepared Ranch Dressing - use any favorite bottle brand of ranch salad dressing.
- Shredded Cheese - I vary between cheddar and mozzarella.
- Crumbled Cooked Bacon - you can cook and crumble your own bacon, or buy it pre-cooked.
- Green Onions - if you're kids don't like onions, leave them off. Chives are a great substitute in this recipe too!
- Tools - aluminum foil or foil packets, nonstick spray, spatula or tray (to remove foil packets from heat).
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make Bacon Chicken Ranch Foil Packets
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this foil packet chicken recipe:
Season Chicken and Potatoes
Preheat oven, grill, or campfire to 400 degrees F
In a medium-sized bowl or plastic bag, add the chicken and potatoes then sprinkle with ranch seasoning and shake (or stir) until coated.
In each packet place 1 chicken breast, ⅛ cup ranch dressing, and surround with ¼ of the baby potatoes.
Secure the foil packets, making sure to leave some room for air circulation, and bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken and potatoes are tender.
Add Cheese and Bacon
Carefully unwrap the foil and sprinkle with cheese. then the cooked bacon close packet and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes until chees is melted.
Be sure to pin the pin to Pinterest and save for later! 🙂
How To Serve Chicken Foil Packets
Serve this meal right in the packet along with additional cheese, green onion, and ranch dressing.
Meal Idea! Serve with a side salad with a favorite dressing (like ranch), or buttered corn on the cob, along with this make-ahead Easy Canned Fruit Salad Recipe. We seriously don't go camping without this salad, my family would go on strike without it. LOL!
For dessert, I recommend this S'Mores Cones Campfire Recipe. They're basically s'mores but made in an ice cream cone then wrapped in foil and baked!
Here are a few ways you can customize bacon ranch chicken foil packets:
- Use any favorite cheese, use extra cheese if you want.
- Top with fresh herbs, like parsley if you don't like green onion.
- Swap ranch seasoning with another salted seasoning blend and a prepared salad dressing.
- Make it a meal in one. Divide 2 cups frozen green beans, corn, or peas in the packets. This will increase the cooking time slightly by about 5 to 10 minutes
Best Tips For Making Chicken Packets
- Make-ahead tips! Pre-pound out the chicken breast to 1/2-inch thick and place in a gallon-sized plastic bag. Pre-grate the cheese and cook the bacon ahead of time. Slice the onions as well. I store each in separate plastic bags.
- Slice the baby potatoes in half or quarters if they are larger than 1-inch in size.
- Use a double layer of aluminum foil if you don't have heavy-duty foil.
- Never cook the foil packets over an open flame. Use indirect heat only.
- If cooking over a campfire rotate the packets periodically to ensure they are cooking evenly.
- It is harder to control a campfire temperature so you may need to check your packets more frequently or allow extra time to cook them.
How To Store Bacon Ranch Chicken Foil Packets
To store leftovers, let the packets cool completely, re-seal the foil then place in plastic storage bags. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. See reheating instructions below.
How To Reheat
Reheat wrapped in foil, over hot coals, in the oven, or on a grill. Or, transfer to a microwave-safe dish and then heat in a microwave over low heat.
✔️ More Foil Packet Recipes
Here are some more foil packet recipes to check out:
- Teriyaki Chicken Foil Packets
- S'Mores Cones Campfire Recipe
- Lumberjack Breakfast Foil Packets
- Philly Cheese Steak Foil Packets
- 30+ Foil Packet Meals for Camping RV