Campfire Pie Iron Pizzas are delicious camping food for sure! Your favorite pizza filling with ooey gooey melted cheese, stuffed in a toasted pizza crust. Who wouldn't love this pie iron recipe?
Did you know that you can also cook pie iron pizza over a camp stove or grill? Yep! See our cooking instructions below.
❤️ Pizza Pudgy Pies
"These are REALLY good. I start with the basics (dough, sauce, cheese) and then prepare a few extra of our favorite pizza toppings so each person can make the perfect pizza for them! Pizza is my boy's favorite food. Now we can make a homemade pizza while camping that tastes way better than delivery for sure." 🙂 -Kori
Fun To Make in A Pie Iron
Making pizza pudgy pies is a great activity to do with the family. I like to prepare all the ingredients in advance and then let everyone make their own. Kids love making pizza!
Choose your favorite pizza toppings along with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pizza dough - and you're on your way to one of the best pizzas you'll eat! Making them over a campfire, even better! So delicious and simple.
Tasty Campfire Pizza
Just wait until you bite into these pie iron pizzas. Holy Moly they are good.
The crust and filling come out perfect, and there is just something about the taste of pizza over the fire. It's almost like a wood-fired pizza oven! AMAZING flavor. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
Whether you called these pizza pudgy pies, hobo pie pizza, mountain pizza, or pie iron pizza, your family is going to love it when you tell them you are making campfire pizzas! 🙂
How To Serve
Need easy serving suggestions? Pizza Pudgy Pies can be a meal all by themselves but if you're looking for a little more, here are some simple ideas of what to serve with them:
- Try this super easy canned fruit salad recipe. You can make it ahead and it keeps for several days.
- Dessert! What about these S'Mores Cones or even these make-ahead S'Mores Brownies?
- Garlic Bread
- A fresh side salad is also easy to make and goes well with these pizza pies. A caesar salad would go great too!
Ingredients and Tools
Here's what you'll need to make these delicious Pie Iron Pizzas:
- Italian Sausage
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Pizza Sauce
- Pizza Dough
- Optional - other favorite pizza toppings
- Pie Iron 4 pack or Pie Iron Single - feel free to use any brand! We've owned the Rome brand for years and they've held up nicely. They do make round pizza pie irons you can try too!
- Nonstick spray
- Cutting board - for assembling the pizzas and cutting after cooking - MAKE SURE IT IS HEAT PROOF so your hot pie iron won't melt it.
- Knife - for cutting the pudgie pie pizza if desired
- Paper Towels - things can sometimes get messy!
- Potholders, grill mitts, or long tongs - in case you need to save someone's pie iron from the depths of the ashes! It happens.
Here are some ideas for some interesting pizzas combination you might want to try:
- Hawaiian - ham and pineapple
- Californian - diced chicken, Monterey jack cheese, olives, red onion, and avocado.
- BBQ Chicken - bbq sauce, cheddar cheese, diced or pulled chicken
Here's how to make a Pudgy Pizza Pie:
In a medium skillet, brown italian sausage. If you aren't using Italian sausage, omit this step. Time-Saving Tip: make the meat at home before you leave home!
Assemble Pizza Pies
Generously spray the pie iron with nonstick spray.
Unroll the pizza dough and lay between two slices of parchment paper or waxed paper. Using a rolling pin roll out the dough until you can cut 8 pieces of dough to fit your pie iron.
Lay one piece of dough on the pie iron then spread 1 to 2 tablspoons of pizza sauce, then add remaining toppings.
Lay the second piece of dough over the top. Close and secure the pie iron and trim any excess dough from around the side.
You can cook your Pie Iron Pizza over a campfire, but did you know that you can also cook them on your camp stove or even grill? This is a great option if it rains or you aren't able to get a fire going! Here's what to do:
- Campfire - cook your pizza pies for 4 to 7 minutes, turning halfway, until the tortilla is golden brown and the filling is hot. For best results, keep the pie iron in a hot area of coals but not TOO HOT. It is easy for the dough to burn but not get cooked all the way, so keep an eye on them.
- Camp Stove - Turn your camp stove on medium heat and lay your pie iron directly on the stove grate over the flame. Cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side
- Grill - Preheat your grill to medium heat (300 to 400 degrees). Lay your pizza pie directly on the grill and cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side until the tortilla is golden brown and the filling is hot.
Serve and Enjoy
Carefully open the pie irons and remove your pizza. Let them sit for a few minutes before eating -they're boiling when they first come out.
Serve with sour cream and salsa for dipping if you want. Enjoy!
- Don't forget to generously spray the pie irons before each pizza that you make.
- For best results, keep the pie iron in a hot area of coals but not TOO HOT. It is easy for the dough to burn but not get cooked all the way, so keep an eye on them.
- Cook your meat and prepare your filling before you leave home. It will make for an even quicker dinner and much easier cleanup while camping. 🙂
- See our cooking instructions above. You can also cook these on your camp stove or grill if needed! I've even made these at home on my gas stovetop before!
✔️ Related Camping Recipes
Here are a few more pie iron recipes that you might enjoy:
- Cherry Mountain Pie Recipe (Pie Iron Cherry Pies)
- Pudgie Pie Tasty Tacos (Pie Iron Recipe)
- Pie Iron Sausage and Egg Hobo Pies
- 25+ Pie Iron Recipes (Perfect Pudgie Pies)
Favorite campfire recipes to try on your next adventure:
- Philly Cheese Steak Foil Packets
- S'Mores Cones Campfire Recipe
- 30+ Dutch Oven Desserts (Best Dutch Oven Camping Recipes!)
?️ How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this post! Here's how:
SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW
We love your comments - say hello, or leave any questions and comments below!
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
Show your RV's, travel photos, food photos, and favorite campgrounds! We'd LOVE to see them!
PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pie Iron Pizzas are so easy and tasty to make! Perfect camping food or even backyard cookout idea 🙂 This campfire dinner idea can be made over a campfire, but also your camp stove, and even grill! The perfect camping food dinner with tasty pizza filling and ooey gooey cheese melted together inside a toasted pizza crust. Your family will go nuts over pudgy pie pizzas! #campingfood #pieironpizza #pizzamountainpies #pieironrecipe #pudgiepies
Leave a Reply